Pair of Toyota Tundra Monster Trucks Take SEMA by Storm
'Hiring Our Heroes Monster Truck' and 'Tonka Tundra' on Display in Las Vegas
October 30, 2014TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 30, 2014 — Toyota will be underscoring its commitment to supporting the off-road enthusiast lifestyle by fielding a pair of over-the-top monster trucks based on the 2014 Tundra at this year’s Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas. Both builds share the Tundra as their base platforms and pay homage to worthy causes.
HIRING OUR HEROES MONSTER TRUCK
The Hiring Our Heroes Monster Truck is a rolling tribute to America's veterans in the form of a 2014 Toyota Tundra grafted to a monster truck chassis. Medal of Honor recipient Sergeant Dakota Meyer (USMC) tapped builder Steve Zion and the mechanics at Toyota of Wallingford to bring his vision to life. A TRD supercharger was added, boosting the output of the 5.7-liter engine to over 500 HP. The truck weighs 10,000 pounds and, as one would expect, features several customizations including
King nitrogen shock absorbers, custom sheet metal and whopping 66” x 43” x 25” tires. Despite all the modifications, the factory amenities were kept intact including the air conditioning which keeps occupants comfortable during long parade routes.
The truck debuted at the 2014 Daytona 500 and has delighted crowds at events nationwide and raised awareness for the Hiring Our Heroes Personal Branding Initiative. This program aims to address the issue of veteran unemployment by helping veterans learn how to better market themselves to civilian employers.
“Toyota is very proud to partner with Hiring Our Heroes and Sgt. Meyer on this inspirational project,” said Steve Appelbaum, Toyota engagement marketing and motorsports national manager. “Wherever the Hiring Our Heroes Tundra goes, it calls attention to the cause of helping veterans find employment opportunities.”
Hiring Our Heroes Monster Truck Specs
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
- Modified frame to accommodate four-link suspension
- King nitrogen front & rear shock absorbers
- TRD-supercharged 5.7-liter V8 with 580 HP
- Custom sheet metal
- 6.72:1 axle ratio
- Pro Fab drop box
- 66” x 43” x 25” tires
- Custom SWR wheels
- 20-ton Clark planetaries
- Fully hydraulic front steering through Eaton orbital valves
- Quick-ratio electrohydraulic rear steering
The second monster truck in Toyota’s SEMA booth calls attention to a group of men and women who put their lives on the line every day for the greater good. In this case, the Tonka Tundra is a larger-than-life tribute to all the emergency responders who dedicate their lives to keeping members of their communities safe. In case the bright red, yellow and black livery doesn’t grab your attention, the multitude of LED light bars and the stylized “Emergency Rescue” logos certainly drive the point home that this Tundra and its occupants are here to save the day.
“There’s the perfect blend of over-the-top Saturday morning cartoon fun as well as real-world rugged capability in this build,” said Appelbaum. “The Tonka Tundra captures the imaginations of kids and adults alike, and all to highlight the heroes in towns across America who rush into harm’s way on our behalf.”
The Tonka Tundra has been upgraded with all the gear it needs to back up its brash looks with scorching performance. TRD supplied a full complement of parts and accessories including a supercharger, dual exhaust and Big Brake Kit. A 10”+ custom Bulletproof Suspension lift and 20” custom Moto Metal wheels wrapped in Toyo’s 40” Open Country M/T tires allow the Tonka Tundra to go wherever the trouble is.
Both Tundra monster trucks can be seen up close with other exciting project vehicles in Toyota’s display booth (#24700) located in the Central Hall at the 2014 SEMA Show from November 4-7.
Tonka Tundra Specs
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
- Toyota Racing Development (TRD) – supercharger, exhaust, Big Brake Kit, oil cap, air filter
- Addictive Desert Designs – custom rack
- AMP Research - automatic side steps, bed side steps, bed rear step
- Bulletproof Suspension – custom 10”+ lift
- Bushwacker – pocket-style fender flares
- Cargo Glide – bed slide
- Fab-Fours Bumpers – front & rear bumpers
- Hi-Lift – 48” first-responder jack and bar mount
- JL Audio – amplifier, subwoofer, speakers
- Katzkin – custom interior
- KMC Wheels – 20” x 12” Moto Metal XD custom wheels
- Line X – Line X spray
- Pro-Comp/Smittybilt – winch
- Rigid Industries – LED lighting, customized light show effects
- Scosche – audio wires, cables and sound deadener
- Sony – head unit
- Soundmaster – audio installation
- Toyo Tires – 40” Open Country M/T tires